The redesign for Ultraman in Hideaki Anno's new movie is....

     

     So assuming you have seen the new design of  the hero in the new movie coming soon "Shin Ultraman" I wanted to put my thoughts into the matter. 

     Now I don't want to rant about the exclusion of the colour timer or the removal of the black dots under his eyes I'm sure everybody noticed it and has probably moved on already. But, I want to bring light to a small change I never noticed until someone on reddit randomly mentioned! 



     The kind stranger who goes by k_mikhael on reddit said "His shorts look a bit ripped" and as I read that I had it in the back of my mind while I was pareusing through the internet looking up on the late legend Tōru Narita also known as Tohl Narita (Japanese Romanisation gets weird sometimes). But, as I was looking through his amazing and surreal artwork I stumbled upon his original concept design for Ultraman. I was amazed at how this eerie alien looking yet heroic design could stand the test of time and become a worldwide icon, As I was admiring the art I had noticed something peculiar. 



     The comment I had mentioned a few moments back jumped from my subconscious and into my mind, my eyes dart toward Ultraman's legs! The original Ultraman design had pant legs almost up to his waist! 

     When I say pant leg, I obviously mean the red markings down his nether regions that look like Ultraman's wearing red pants. For reference here's a pic of the "Man" himself:


     Funny tangent about the red and silver on Ultraman, From what I've read up on Ultraman's biology I found it quite fascinating that the silver colouring on ultras represent space metal and the red colour represents skin. And apparently ultras can handle really intense heat but due to their genetic makeup they in turn cannot handle very cold weather. That's why most death episodes take place in snowy areas during the showa era. That said I haven't watched many showa ultras and going off by memory but feel free to correct me if anyone cares.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Rider and Ultra blog page!